Points of interests*
*A map with the points of interests is available at the shops in the Bazaar or at the Babameto Centre.
The Statue of Çerçiz Topulli (1880-1915) , sculpted by Odise Paskali in 1934, commemorates one of the most famous leaders of Gjirokastra’s resistance to the Ottoman Turks. The bullet hole is said to be from an Italian soldier who meant to symbolically kill the independence fighter. The Partisan Heroines Monument honors two young women hanged by occupying Nazi forces in 1944. The Monument to famous Gjirokastriotes celebrates three honorary citizens: Eqrem Ҫabej (1908-1980), an eminent historian and linguist, Ismail Kadare (*1936), Albania’s most important writer, and Musine Kokalari (1917-1983), a writer and political prisoner of the communist regime for most of her life.
The Zagoria Han was the guesthouse for visitors from the Zagoria valley who would come to town for administration matters, trading goods or making repairs.. It provided stables for horses and livestock, too.
The Obelisk called the “Motherland ABC” and erected in 1977, pays tribute to the first Albanian school founded in the adjacent building in 1908 and countering Ottoman policies to suppress the Albanian language.
The Artisan Center “GjiroArt” (GJA). Situated in a newly restored historic building, it is a center for training and production of arts and crafts. Here you can see local artisans at work and buy handmade souvenirs produced by them, mainly women, members of the GjiroArt Association.
Fantazia square was the location of a gigantic statue of Enver Hoxha erected in 1986 and demolished in 1991. Its site, which offers spectacular view, coffee bars and restaurants are situated now.
The Bazaar mosque is the only mosque that survived the anti-religious campaign of 1967. It was built out over the original road and a small arcade of shops, the rents from which would go towards its upkeep. The Muslim community still owns many of the Bazaar houses. The Medresa to the rear was originally a Bektashi Teqe.
The Seven Fountains complex includes the remains of a mosque, a bathhouse (hamam) and the name-giving fountains. Of the mosque, built by Hadji Murad in the 17th century, only the prayer hall remains. No other place in Gjirokastra has a similar abundance of surface water.
The St. Sotiri Church was built in 1784. Its interior was heavily damaged by the communists. Framed icons now cover the walls, many of them painted by local artists. St. Sotiri church is open daily. Sunday services are at 7:00.
Outside the castle on the pass leading to Dunavat Quarter, remains of some of Ali Pasha’s Aqueduct piers can still be seen